Sunday, June 8, 2014

I Promise Forever --- Rick

On May 10th of 1997 Maren Legas made me the happiest man alive in two ways: First, she showed up to our wedding ceremony and second, she actually said yes! There are other responses possible to that question you know...

On that day we were officially married and sealed together and then we exchanged rings. On the inside of her ring I had "Rick and Maren 5/10/97" inscribed. I actually had an LOL moment while writing this to think that she would ever be the one to need a reminder of the day we got married. Idiot I am!

As I read what she had inscribed on the inside of my ring I felt excited, ecstatic, and filled with hope. I knew my life would be filled with joy and happiness. It was the first time that my dinosaur-sized brain showed signs of understanding. In that moment I caught my first understanding of Maren's true colors: It simply said "I promise forever".

I promise to love you for who you are. 
I promise to love our children for who they are. 
I promise to remain loyal to you. 
I promise to support you. 
I promise to encourage you.
I promise to fight our battles together.
I promise to give the best years my body has to you and our children while watching you get paid to stay in prime condition as a professional athlete.
I promise to live in a country where humor and laughter are an afterthought.
I promise to accept that your allergies prevent us from having a dog.
I promise to accept you being bishop at the same time you are head coach of a professional youth team and assistant coach of a team that plays in a different country often. Yes I know what that means...all the kids will be with me all of the time.
I promise not to lose faith in you when you tell me you want to become a teacher.
I promise to make it happen financially in our home although we have 8 kids and our only source of income is a State of Utah teacher's paycheck.
I promise to remain optimistic during the time that you work full-time, serve in church callings, coach your own kids and everyone else who wants coaching, and earn your master's degree as well.
I promise to show you how spending money to make memories brings happiness.
I promise when times are tough, I'll be at my best. 


But...
I also promise to tell you when you're not being the husband or father we need.
I promise to tell you to quit whining.
I promise to tell you when it's time to spend time with me.
I promise to teach you that anger is not ok.
I promise that I have the courage to tell you these things.
I promise to stand my ground-with you and anyone else for that matter.

And...
I promise to keep things unpredictable!
I promise that things will be interesting, intriguing, and almost never the same twice in a row.

Why? 
Because this is me. I am one of GOD'S finest daughters. He gave me enough toughness, grit, and will power to conquer all obstacles. Here I am and I LOVE YOU, Rick.

Reading her blogs, you all know Maren has a way with words. Isn't it amazing how she could find a way to make all these promises and explain all that she is simply by inscribing 3 short words? GOD wasn't good when he brought her into my life...he was GREAT.

So in the past I've returned home to find that Maren has collected some rather unexpected things throughout the day. Often it has been chickens; once it was two goats, another time a duck or two. On Friday I returned home to find a Bobcat or mini-excavator running in our side yard, with someone scraping the weeds and grading out the ground in preparation for sprinkler lines and sod. Luckily I'm not going blind yet and from a distance and through the protective cage/roll bars I could see a long, brown pony tail on the driver. I shouted out "Hey Babe!" and the Bobcat rotated towards me.  I could see the deep, deep smile on her face and I could watch the excitement dancing in her eyes. I am always a bit surprised by Maren's abilities and interests and how she seamlessly transitions from activity to activity, but really I shouldn't be. All she is doing is remaining true to her inscription on my wedding band: "I PROMISE FOREVER."   
Just an observation Maren, but I think it's safe to say that you can discount the saying "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." That's too easy for you and you've been there and done that.

Right now life is giving you itty, bitty shriveled up, unripe and nasty lemons and you are still finding a way to make the best lemonade ever. Well actually, Kool-aid and I'm drinking a lot of it.

Watching you thumb your nose at cancer, be a peacemaker when a child has been injured, and teach me about personal principles during processes that defy explanation has been AWESOME!!! You are a force of nature and you can't be stopped. Not that you need it, but you now have my public approval to keep on truckin'. Pedal to the metal. The way you live and how you've loved is the greatest gift our children could ever receive. Thank you.

You are intelligent, full of character and toughness, beautiful, sexy, and as close to perfect as is possible to be. Not just my heart, but all that I am belongs to you. It's been 17 years in the making while watching the master at work, but...

I PROMISE FOREVER.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent read Rick and Maren. You guys are an inspiration to me. Thanks for writing. Chad

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tribute! Love both of you.

    ReplyDelete